Misty Memories Of Mom

Misty memories of my Mom came to me this late afternoon.

I had been in the office all day and as I walked into the kitchen, the view outside my window was full of magic time and late afternoon fog drifting, eddying around the sagebrush across the road towards the creek…and it hit me…all of a sudden I was a young girl getting home from school on the school bus…climbing down the stairs of the bus, I turned and said “Have a good evening Red”…yes my bus driver had red hair and he was called Red by all the locals.

As I looked towards the house, I could see a golden glow of warmth emanating from within. I knew Mom was cooking something special for dinner and she probably had something good for an after school treat!

CCI00003-2

Mom loved to cook and always had snacks, and good stuff…I hurried up the steps as Mom opened the front door saying “Oh Honey, let me help you with that school bag”…she often had a dress on with her apron and a welcoming hug and smile.

CCF05032011_00001

I could smell something sweet and divine…homemade chocolate cake for dinner desert and warm chocolate chip cookies for my snack…all made with Mom’s love:)  She usually had our beef in the oven…my favorite was her roast beef with potatoes, gravy and fruit salad! Mom was a loving wife and always a very classy lady. This photo was taken in town at my Grandma’s house on Easter…we had to do photo ops and I wanted to go hunt Easter eggs with my cousins by the dang dozen! I was being a stinker too…and I remember a swift swat on the patoot!

CCI00006

Mom’s life was Dad and me…along with a few cattle dogs, lots of cows and several horses…she taught me so much about marriage by example and living life in a small community. In this photo we had been busy with the photographer all day taking photos of us as my Dad was President of the Pendleton Round Up…he was very deserving and truly the “Cowboy’s President” and we were excited for him and his recognition…but we were all tired!

IMG_6486

Once I had explained all the details of my day at school including the bus trip home, I settled in front of the TV and ate my cookies while watching Flicka or Fury or Sky King…now it is my camera that settles me…I love grabbing shots to share:)

Me and Red 1958

And all was well in a simple country girl’s life growing up:)

Have a Wonderfully Wild Weird Wednesday! HRCG Over And Out But…I’m On A Roll With My Camera…I Might Catch Ya! Click Click Click!

1. Brenda
    Mar 24, 2014 @ 19:12:38

This was a wonderful, heartwarming reminiscence. I’m so happy I had time to read and catch up with you. You mom was Norwegian? I miss my mom, too.

Mar 24, 2014 @ 21:39:41

Thank you so much:) I am glad you stopped in to say Hello:) Mom married a Norwegian, my Dad…and she had a huge learning curve. She was a sport in making blood pudding…krumkaga…lefse or potato cakes…and koupon:) I may not have them spelled correctly…I still make the lefse or potato cakes. I miss both Mom and Dad daily…I love learning more of my heritage. Is your family Norwegian too?

• Brenda
        Mar 25, 2014 @ 04:16:15

No, we are lots of things, but not Norwegian. Did your dad teach your mom to cook those things or did his family? We have something similar, I make a couple dishes for my husband’s grandfather when I visit him that he taught me to make. They are his family recipes from way back. He’s over 100 now and can’t cook anymore. I’m the only link in the chain, the only one who can still make the kibbe and cabbage rolls the way he remembers his Aunt making them.

Mar 26, 2014 @ 13:55:25

Hi there:) I am sorry to be long in answering but my kitty Minnie has not felt good this week…she is almost 19 years old so I have been hovering over her. She is doing better today so I’m praying that she does not suffer and that as long as she lives I want to be sure that I do everything I can for her. She is a big part of my heart.

No Dad was not much into cooking….his mother my Grandma taught Mom how to do some of the recipes…and by the time I began to make lefse or potato cakes, Mom was tired of doing them so I had to learn sort of by feel and what I read….I got them down and usually WB and will make over 200 of them for the holidays…they are delicious hot off the griddle with fresh butter rolled up in them. That is awesome that you are able to learn from your husbands grandfather and that you are able to cook his favorites now for him:) What a blessing you have been to him:)

Wishing you a happy Wednesday and thank you for dropping in:)

• Brenda
        Mar 26, 2014 @ 14:13:47

I might be a blessing if he remembered, but he seems surprised I know the recipe each time. It’s sweet how suspicious he is that they will not turn out well, and then how many he eats once he gets started. LOL

Mar 26, 2014 @ 21:34:17

I can see that and imagine his wonderment:)

• Brenda
        Mar 27, 2014 @ 05:04:16

We all like the recipes. It’s not a hardship to make them. It’s the only thing I can do for him.

Mar 27, 2014 @ 13:55:04

There is a blessing in doing things for our loved ones and as they age, the time we spend with them means the world to them. I was thankful that we moved back home when we did as both my parents were not well. I had four years left with my Dad and 5 years left with my Mom. I have been blessed in that I got to have those times with them, both hard ones and good ones. I thank God that I was able to take care of them here at home. It is such a blessing when we can help them and do the little things.

• Brenda
        Mar 27, 2014 @ 16:56:54

That would be a blessing. My family is spread out, coast to coast. But we see everyone as much as we can. Have a great weekend, coming up! Warmly, Brenda

Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:04:06

You too…

Feb 27, 2014 @ 09:32:09

Nice memories. And it seems your mother have a traditional costume from Norway, with a shorter skirt. Nice photos too.

3. alanalmsjets
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 16:05:51

Beautiful! This made me smile so big and miss my mom! Thank you for showing others to appreciate the small and simple beauty of life. You’re so inspirational.

Feb 26, 2014 @ 19:58:33

Thank you so much for your words and encouragement:) Our Moms were the best and I miss mine so much…she was so much a part of my life…so was Dad. I never take life for granted as we have been blessed in many circumstances with good stuff. I love sharing the good to encourage others too:) Have a wonderful night and rest of the week in sunny FL. We are to have freezing rain tonight and tomorrow…then more snow over the weekend….and I miss summer:)

4. Bella Remy Photography
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 15:44:18

What a wonderful tribute for a special mom. I’m sure you miss her more than life sometimes. I understand the connection you had with her.

5. Renee Spindle
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 14:44:12

What wonderful memories of your childhood. I could smell the chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven. Beautiful pictures too!

6. singleworkingmomswm
    Feb 26, 2014 @ 11:52:22

This post just has me smiling from ear to ear! I just love the beauty of your mom and family. What a blessed life you had growing up and have today, as I know you already know and appreciate so much. It’s raining and chilly here today, FINALLY, and this post is edging me to make some homemade chocolate chip cookies for Maycee tonight when we get home. Her favorite, and mine, too! XOXO-Kasey

Feb 26, 2014 @ 19:36:37

Oh thank you so much:) I wish I could hug you…you are a good Momma just like mine was and your little girl Maycee knows it too….much like I knew it. A parents love for their child is huge:) God Bless and hope those cookies turned out good:)

Feb 26, 2014 @ 04:01:01

Beautiful photos and memories….love your Mom’s outit in the photo with her standing by the gate….

Hugs, Pam