What Gives Writers And Artists Their Fire?

What gives writers and artists their fire? I take it for granted that we all think about words and photos the way I do but we don’t. I have known all of my life, that God blessed me with the desire and passion to become a writer of words and life. I am drawn to writing words that create visual pictures…words that become alive and draw you into the story or maybe the memories of your life. Writing is my heart, as the words explain the me that I am and the whys of my life…words of feelings…words of emotions…words of heritage and memories…and the words of a country cowgirl…words upon words upon words. Writers write to share what they feel and see in the moments of tender memories filled with times of faith…times of hope…times of life. I think they are born with a desire to tell the story as the seed has been planted in their hearts to write the words.

Writers are different as we see and feel the actual word…we see emotions and feel life differently. Quietly our soul takes in all the words we hear and the pictures of life we see…the writer in us takes both the seeing and feeling emotions, weaving them into a story to share. Our words are poured out onto the golden pages of a book full of stories and memories, both real and fiction. If we are really good we can make you guess what is real and what is fiction. I think my writing and the ability to feel the words and to see the story in a quick snapshot blink of life is partly because I grew up by myself, with just my parents and our ranching life in the mountains and here at home.

I never knew any different way of living, I thought everyone moved to the mountains to summer on a cattle ranch…now that I know differently, I feel very blessed that I had the opportunity. I carry the memories of almost 40 years, working first with my parents on the ranch and then with Wild Bill. My world has been full of horses, cows, kitty cats and dogs, and various critters…the sky and clouds…the elements of weather…hard days and good days…life was all of that and in my mind it was a novel of golden days…the days of my life. The one soap opera I watched for a couple of years, was of all things called “Days Of Our Lives”…go figure, I was doing what I knew as I actually do see the days of my life.

I began to shoot pictures of my life and the life moments around me during the last two years…I bought a quality camera and once it was in my hands I hung on to it and slept with it if I had to! It was the missing piece to my life of words…it was the part that fit with the creative visions and the words I had inside my head and in my heart. If done correctly, one picture can tell the story from beginning to end…one photo can do that if you are good and that is what I strive for. I want to be that good with my camera…so I take 1000’s of photos every week…keeping some and trashing the others…I love learning:) When I read the story and saw the photos of Vivian Maier a few years ago, I was in awe and in photography heaven…she was incredible and had such an eye for the right moment and the perfect timing to capture the life of her subjects and the life of America. I would love to see her work in person! Here is the link to the web site of her images…enjoy.  http://www.vivianmaier.com/  She was truly a very gifted artist of life.

It is the same with words…you have to write and I write a zillion words each week both on paper and in my head in order to develop what is already there inside me, writing your thoughts and words, keeps you fresh and wide awake! I write stories and heart filled memories of life, mine and also of other lives that I have seen and been part of. It is crazy how I can feel another persons heart and their thoughts…their emotions and feel what they are not saying as easily as what they are saying. No it is not some woo woo thing or a new age technique. I am blessed that God made me with the passion and ability to write, feeling the words of the story I see in a blink second of another persons life or the scenes of life that travel through my world. I love it and will never grow tired of words and images.

Switching gears, I want to thank you for wondering where I have been and if all is well. I am here and we are doing fine. I hope to post my first of many award nominations that I have been given to share soon:) Somehow my “life went into hyper-warp speed and lately I have felt like I am Lieutenant Uhura on the U.S.S. Enterprise on Captain Kirk’s bridge traveling at warp speed to do battle with the Klingons in some new galaxy!” I think I need to write more and get outside with my camera…my imagination is getting a bit weird! No I’m not a Trekkie but I did like Star Trek in the 60’s.

As I sign off for now I will leave you with a couple of verses from “Alabama” with their song called “I’m In A Hurry,” as it fits:)

“I’m in a hurry to get things done…Oh, I rush and rush until life’s no fun…All I really got to do is live and die…But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why”
“Don’t know why I have to drive so fast…My car has nothing to prove…It’s not new, but it’ll do 0 to 60 in 5.2”

Tucker

Right Tucker? “Rrrruff-righto Mom.”

I wish you the best of days or nights where ever you may be. “May God Bless You With A Totally Terrific Thursday or Fantastic Funny Friday!”

1. Ajaytao2010
    Apr 10, 2013 @ 23:04:06

I cant help myself but write

very beautiful pictures really

2. Heather @ Sugar Dish Me
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 04:14:05

This is so lovely– your posts always make me smile! You are incredibly talented with both words and photos–seriously amazing!

Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:30:35

Thank you very much Heather:) Your words are sweet and heartfelt, I appreciate your support and encouragement with my words and photos:) So now we need to get you published with your yummy recipes, spoken from true experience and also your words draw me in too:) Happy Thursday:)

3. patinaandcompany
    Mar 12, 2013 @ 08:49:08

What a lovely description of being artistic and the way your experiences affected you. So well said.

4. catfromhell
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 17:49:32

I love your posts and I hope your man is feeling better. It is tough to not be able to physically do what your brain says yous want to do.
    I can’t imagine life without art or writing. It is as important as the air I breathe. Speaking of Art, I have a portrait I need to finish…
    Nellie’s Mom

Mar 02, 2013 @ 20:46:37

Thank you very much with purrs from Minnie girl too. He is doing day by day better…slow but we are getting there! I am with you on art and writing…I love it too:) Thank you for stopping in:)

Mar 01, 2013 @ 03:43:44

Nice to “see” you again! Have missed your beautiful photos and thoughts….what gives writers and artists their fire? Good question…maybe it’s different for each of us. In my case it’s the joy of sharing something I’ve created – a passion for capturing a feeling maybe. Hope WB is feeling better each and every day…..

Hugs, Pam (and Sam too of course!)

Mar 01, 2013 @ 16:24:44

It is good to see you too and have missed you and Sammy. I have missed everyone! With WB having two surgeries in three months it has been hard at times…I worry about him so much as in all our years of marriage he has always been very healthy. The surgery the day after Christmas has been the toughest as they trimmed almost an inch off of his shoulder bone and then cut the rest of the bicep that was hanging, then they re-attach it by making a hole in his arm bone using a screw to hold the muscle in. He has been on very strict orders and in alot of pain. But…..we have turned the corner finally and he has begun PT…doing pretty good but tires easily. Minnie and I have been doing the nursing and keeping him as comfy as we could…it will yet be several months before he is completely healed. I think we all as writers have a passion for words and sharing our thoughts and lives…I wish I lived closer so I could take classes to develop more of the creative part of me and also learn more about photography:) It is good to be back:) Huggies and have a great weekend!

Mar 01, 2013 @ 03:04:32

Enjoy your camera, and your sleeping with the camera! 😉 Great post & pictures!

7. bulldog
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 23:42:06

I am pleased to see you back.. had almost forgotten about you… and your return post is just so captivating…

Mar 01, 2013 @ 16:13:09

Thank you and I’m glad that I jarred your memory and you do remember me:) It has been a crazy few months for me…my hubby is never sick and he had two surgeries between the end of September and the day after Christmas…he is beginning to recover more and is doing physical therapy now too…so life is getting back to normal and I have more time again to blog and practice with the camera:)

8. Where God Takes Me
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 22:28:16

Dear HR Cowgirl, Of the zillion words that you write each week, I’m grateful that you share some of them with us. Your words–and pictures–always make me smile. 🙂 Love, Viv

9. Shonnie
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 17:43:02

As always I love your photos. Your writing is very pleasant too. 😀 Sorry … my brain is done from the touch of writing and pics I just did. I need another nap now. 😀

Feb 28, 2013 @ 17:24:17

I love reading your posts … Glad to have you back!!

Feb 28, 2013 @ 17:23:31

I write because I can’t imagine not.
    and Tucker sure is a looker 🙂 Thank you for your words and your photos and all that you give to us, you’re a treasure.
    MJ

Feb 28, 2013 @ 17:45:07

Amen…it is like a burning bush inside you at times and I have to take time out and get those words out:) Tucker is truly a gift….she will be 10 this year and we got her when she was a year old…the breeder had gotten her back and she had lived her first year in a house with no yard…we love her so much and she is amazingly loyal with those big brown eyes of hers:) Thank you for your kind words too:) Hugs and you too are a blessing right back to me:)