The Sounds Of Country Silence

The sounds of country silence are…profoundly silent…incredibly quiet…and filled with a very still solitude.

Living in country silence is my daily world. Sometimes it is more than hard to take as I love being around people while going, doing, and seeing life but my life has always been country quiet.

Silence so still that some nights you can hear a train 10 miles away…silence so still you can hear your neighbor’s telephone ring on a summer night and they live a mile away over a hill!

You learn to value the tick-tock of the clock for company and if you listen closer you can hear the hands move a bit with each tick…and if Minnie is close to me and she always is, I can hear her snore ever so softly or her stretching from her nap making a squeaky sound…I often listen to the refrigerator running and the ice maker filling…I recognize my neighbors pick ups as they drive by and always know the cattle trucks hauling cattle out of Juniper to the mountains…I know who it is before I see them.

These are only a few of the sounds of my days…the old house creaking last night and today in the windstorm…the owls at night…hawks overhead…coyotes howling…the sounds and presence of our outside dogs…and the same with Ellie who is my inside dog…the sounds of nothing…the sounds of silence…the sounds of my life.

My day begins with Minnie Mouse waking me with her wake up call “Yeowly Meow and Good Morning:)” Then WB gets up, I try to snuggle back down but one of the dogs outside barks and I wonder if it is a neighbor? I can hear the horses and the sound of their hooves running back and forth, waiting for their breakfast and I’m up.

Making my way to the kitchen, I can smell the coffee brewing…WB is already out the door headed to feed horses and check water…then off to the shop…now it’s me and Minnie and Ellie. I get out my cup while looking out the same kitchen window I have looked out of forever, as I listen to the morning sounds…the tick-tock of the wall clock, the howling winds outside and the coffee pot hissing a bit.

Today the wind is blowing out of a different direction as it howls and moans against the house, giving me different house creaks and groans to listen to. I love the sound of rain on the roof which is soothing to my soul…when it rains at night, it lulls me to sleep with rain drops falling ever so softly on our lives here, bathing the house and watering the crops, it’s always a beautiful sound to my ears.

Some days I talk to myself just to hear a voice…and I write, talking the words on to a sheet of paper or to my blog which helps me feel connected to the world.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It is the quiet life I know and love…and I will never take for granted. I know how blessed I am to experience life as I know it!

The song, Sounds Of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel, was going through my head as I was writing….go to iTunes if you don’t have it as it was a great song.

“Hello darkness my old friend…I’ve come to talk with you again,

Because a vision softly creeping…Left its seeds while I was sleeping,

And the vision that was planted in my brain,

Still remains…Within the sound of silence.”

Wishing you a Fabulous Fantastic Fun Friday and a wonderful weekend wherever you may be!  Spring is coming…my camera is ready and waiting to go:) HRCG over and out for now but not for long!

1. mythreemoggies
    Feb 23, 2014 @ 06:01:48

Amazing photos x. It is great to know someone on this planet is getting use of the yellow ball in the sky ;-). UK we are wet and windy x

Feb 23, 2014 @ 14:07:16

I’ll try to send some sunshine over your way:) We are to get some of the wet tonight…had wind all last week…I’m always thankful to see some sun even if it is only a day, it helps. In about a month things here will begin to pop with color and more of that yellow ball in the sky…I always say to WB and that is why we live here:) Thanks for dropping by..wishing a great new week with some sun!

2. Jonathan Caswell
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 08:45:39

Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    HEY LOOK—NO SNOW!!!! 🙂

3. kenneturner
    Feb 21, 2014 @ 07:39:49

Love your images!

4. lilmisspoutine
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 19:28:39

the storytelling and photos in this post give me goosebumps! I am there! 🙂

5. SwittersB
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 19:19:19

Have you considered a calendar! Beautiful shots. Hmm? The tick-tock is problematic for my wife and I…too many vigils in hospice…we both become unsettled by the sound. But, on a brighter note…lovely images!

Feb 20, 2014 @ 20:03:31

Ahhhh thank you much:) I have thought of a calender but not sure how to do that….you both worked in hospice? That is way cool to do…both my parents were on hospice here…could not have been the daughter they needed without the help of hospice…may God bless you and keep you always:) My tick tock memories go to my Grandma’s house…whenever I stayed with her I loved hearing the mantle clock tick tock and chime…

Feb 20, 2014 @ 18:08:39

Beautifully said! All the lovely little sounds of life going on. I’m glad you and me can still hear them. This time of year, it’s so quiet except for traffic. No birds singing, just the various dogs barking … ours and everyone else’s … and the cars, trucks and plows passing. I’m really looking forward to spring and the return of the birds. Be well 🙂

Feb 20, 2014 @ 19:59:56

Thank you much my friend:) Ahhhh yes I hear more now than when I was young…not sure why…we only have maybe 8 pick ups that go by in the morning to their farm/ranch jobs…our busiest time on the road is during harvest…and thankfully it is only my dogs…having never lived in town I would not care for the sounds of my neighbors and their dogs. And you will be fine and recovery will be good and we can yak to each other and take photos to share…I know I live a zillion miles away from you but I am with you Marilyn…big hugs:) Thank you for your encouraging words and your friendship:) Have a blessed night!

7. philosophermouseofthehedge
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 18:01:00

You expressed it so well. This is something I miss. Sounds of real life

8. juliecrombe
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 17:47:31

Gorgeous pictures!

9. ernestwhile
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 17:38:42

Beautiful photos and lonesome words, though I can help but notice how noisy your morning is. I guess that’s the point; just wish sometimes I could escape the sirens and the yelling.

10. Victor Rakmil
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 17:32:43

Great post. Wonderful photos.