Sharing The Memories Of Our Hearts Becomes A Golden Tapestry Of Our Life…

Sharing the memories of our hearts becomes a golden tapestry of our life, as we wrap ourselves in the heritage of life that makes us who we are.

-9254

Often I wonder why I have this writing bug and why it took me so long to discover my intense love of photography as to me the images that I capture and the words that follow, tell a story of a very simple life. Although I have to say at times, my life is not that simple…it has been pretty exciting in certain seasons and also difficult during various circumstances.

What I have learned is that hard times and difficulties bring out more of your character while deepening your resolve and strength…building your gratitude for getting through them and over them, as you go on with your life…while never looking back at what was or could have been, but looking forward to whats ahead.

07052010_00029

It’s not how you ride through the mountain top moments, but how you climb out of the valleys of hard times that count.

When I am hit with the desire to write, I grab my pen and write with my heart, letting the words tumble out of my pen onto a simple tablet of paper…I go with it, as writing is part of what makes me, me.

It is the same with my photography, I don’t know all the ins and outs of aperture and ISO or all the terminology yet, but I will. In the meantime I grab my camera and happily click away with that creative spirit full of heart, only this time, the story I write is through my eyes…

I love capturing the exact moment when you know that, “Yeah baby I got it!!!”

Writing is often like life, as we write and write only to find out that it totally stinks so we trash the hours and pages into the shredder and we move on. As a writer, no matter how many revisions you go through…no matter how much criticism you get…you can not stop…you write and write and write. Determined to write the darn best story you can write!

scan0039

It’s the same with taking pictures, no matter how many I take, it is never enough!

Everyday when I get up and look out my kitchen window I am doing what my Mom did for the 42 years she lived in the house and I am doing what my Great Grandmother did for the 18 years she lived here…I can feel what they felt and hear the words they may have spoken, with the views of country life and the circumstances that come out of country living.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

When we pulled up the carpet on the main floor of the house, it was the first time I saw the wood floors, as Mom kept them covered. I had no clue there were solid wood floors on the main level of the house. I was overcome with emotion as I could see the foot traffic worn into the old floors, where my ancestors walked. I walked in their literal footsteps in my bare feet, feeling the solid wood and hearing the same creaks and squeaks under my feet while hearing the echos of a time long ago.

IMG_2510

Mom keeping the floors covered was perfect in preserving them. When we got down to the last layer of linoleum in the kitchen we found that it had burlap on the back side of it…I had never seen flooring like that and thankfully the burlap kept the floors in good condition.

IMG_3057

The old house was revealing its glory! The floors turned out beautiful…and each day that I walk on them, is like stepping back in heritage and time. History and heritage are important as we are the only ones who know the memories and emotions of the generation before…writing down their memories, their histories and the heritage they passed on to us is so very important.

Switching gears…we have a new baby and she is keeping us busy…isn’t she cute!!! That’s why I have not posted for a few weeks…life has been fast and furious!

I was wondering if anyone knows where the summer went to? I can not believe that fall is in the air!

1. Lana Lapp
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 12:52:24

I love your house. Would you tell me what color the roof is?

Liked by 1 person

2. sagescenery
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 10:02:26

Wonderful post!! Ahhh…to leave a legacy for the Lord with your life!!

3. Tex Arty
    Sep 11, 2013 @ 03:42:25

Hi Hot Rod Cowgirl! Love horses. My wife collects and enjoys pictures of horses from our small City dwelling in the huge City of Houston and envious of the life style you enjoy on your ranch.
    We will be following your blog and wish you continued success with the Ranch and Car restoration ventures.

Sep 11, 2013 @ 21:14:39

Thank you so much:) Horses are so incredible and so intelligent…truly if all people could see this, horses would live a much different life with respect and lots of love. I have been to Austin and College Station, our son transferred there after graduation from Oregon State…loved seeing Texas but needed more time too.

4. crazytraintotinkytown
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 08:21:50

I loved your pictures

5. Donkey Whisperer Farm
    Aug 28, 2013 @ 06:41:41

Yes me too I love to grab my camera and walk around my farm taking photos and just sharing photos with no words.

6. Lissa Rabon
    Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:33:28

Wow! Those ARE gorgeous floors! Wood is so beautiful. We coleected scrap from a remodel that is going to make an awesome floor in our new house one day. I think I have just enough for the kitchen. Love the moon shot and the horses lined up.

Aug 25, 2013 @ 12:50:17

Thank you:) Your floor will be really cool since it is reclaimed, lots of character and rustic…I would love it! Keep hunting for places that sell old house parts. There is a place in Portland that sells all reclaimed house parts from mantles to wood floors and doors as well as handles and fixtures….it is in a warehouse and has three floors of parts. I love going there!I bet there is a place like that close to where you live? And sometimes you can find someone who is taking down an old barn and grab the floor out of it. The horse shot was fun to capture:) As was the moon:)

I was surprised to see them having grown up here too but Mom always had everything covered. She was of the generation that did not care for rustic or old things. I refinished this one cupboard that was in the basement when my folks moved into the house in 1939 and the whole time I grew up it was a storage cupboard. Painted several coast of white. After WB and I moved into the house I looked at the old cupboard more closely and could see that the top part had glass that was painted and the old handles were all original and old old…so I refinished it, took me a year, but once it was done I brought it up to our kitchen, when Mom saw it, she rolled her eyes. One day she was taking rummage into town and I saw a bit of silver showing in the box and I said “what is that Mom” and she said oh just an old cruet set…and I said “whoa, ok Mom I want that!” It still sits on my dining table:) I love the floors, the main floor has about 1800′ and it is all the same wood floor. Upstairs the floor was more odds and ends so we ended up installing Acacia wood floors and I love them too. Acacia is harder than oak and beautiful, ours is hand scarped and rustic.

7. Ajaytao2010
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 23:25:28

I Nominate you for a Super Bunch of Awards – 30 Nominations
    please choose any 3 awards out of the 30
    accept it and oblige

there are no linkbacks for this award

Aug 23, 2013 @ 06:40:09

Yeah — you got it all right! And we love reading it 🙂

Your new baby is adorable and I will look forward to reading her stories on your blog. Missing my Frankie, it’s been 3 1/2 weeks. Every time I cook I expect to see his furry face at the stove with me.

MJ

Aug 23, 2013 @ 18:02:05

It is so good to hear from you MJ, I missed you and hearing of life in your world…I am so sorry that you lost Frankie:( I know how much that hurts and my heart feels your pain. We had to let one of our barn kitties go be with God too the end of July and I still miss him lots too. Frankie was such a huge part of your lives much like Minnie is to us…but I know but I know that you will for sure see him again one day:) I’m sending you lots of hugs and lots of prayers…
      PS: The new little puppy is related to Kiah, she looks different but they had the same Dad…and she acts like Kiah, so sweet and so smart. Now if I can just convince Minnie that she is still the queen:)

Aug 23, 2013 @ 03:21:45

So nice to see you again AND congratulations on the new addition to the family! What a sweet little face – you’ll have to tell us MORE! Isn’t it just fabulous that you were able to uncover those beautiful wood floors and enjoy them as they were enjoyed so many years before your time…..as it turned out, your Mother keeping them covered was indeed the best thing for them – like unwrapping a very special gift. Sammy sends hugs to you AND Minnie – and I do too……….

Pam

Aug 23, 2013 @ 17:54:34

It is nice to be back as I missed reading blogs and seeing everyone! Thank you for your kind words and you are so right, the floors were like a huge gift from my Mom. We pulled up the carpet right in the middle of the bc fight so it really was a blessing and I was so excited. I could not do alot except skoot around on my behind pulling out carpet tacks…with big tears as I was so blessed to see the worn floors knowing my family made those well worn marks:)

I can’t decide on her name yet…either Maddie or Molly or Marley or Kayla. Our little 9 week old girl is half sister to Kiah…I know they do not look alike in coloring but they had the same Dad and he is colored like our puppy girl. We traveled 600 miles round trip to bring her home and she is so sweet, so smart and cute. I do plan on doing a post for sure on her soon! Minnie is not thrilled right now as she is trying to figure out what she is and if her place is threatened….so I am reassuring her lots and teaching little puppy to leave Minnie along. I am house breaking the puppy as she is more my dog as WB has two dogs who follow him everywhere. I love her lots already but I am on a learning curve with training a dog to be in the house as I have never had one in the house….today Minnie is more at ease and life is getting back to normal somewhat.

Minnie and I send hugs to you and Sammy too:) We missed you lots!

Aug 22, 2013 @ 23:54:19

You’ve got a great eye and the place you live is outstanding, very photogenic. Photography is addictive. Very addictive. So are cameras. You will be astounded by how many can collect … and how quickly … and each has a particular purpose in your life.

I love your photographs! AND your stories.

Aug 23, 2013 @ 17:46:33

Thank you so much my friend for your encouraging words:) I have found that out about addiction with taking photos and oh cameras too as I love them!!! When we go anywhere I am taking my camera along as I find my eye is always looking for the angle and the right shot:) I love it! Wishing you a wonderful weekend and lots of hugs:)

11. adaisygarden
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:10:38

Happy to see you’re back. Enjoyed your post so much! All that history, the beautiful photos. The floors are beautiful and so are your doggies 🙂

Aug 22, 2013 @ 21:09:29

Thank you so much:) I missed you all the last few weeks! I will be doing a post on our new little puppy. Do you remember Kiah and that I lost her last December? Maddie, our new baby is half sister to Kiah. She does not look like Kiah but she acts like her and is super smart. I just love her and feel very blessed that we got her!

12. paulessick
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 16:08:46

Reblogged this on My Blog snuppy.

13. mythreemoggies
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:11:40

Summer has left the UK now waiting for leaves to drop. Love your photos x

Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:39:05

Thank you:) Yes it seems to me that summer went too fast this year. Of course our weather was not great as in June it was cold and then July and August have been hot hot hot until this week and summer is slipping away as I can feel fall in the air at night and in the early mornings.

Aug 22, 2013 @ 03:00:11

A love for photography, and also writing, is such a gift. I love the new baby!

Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:36:59

I love them both and I love finding a picture that tells the story in and of itself:) She is such a sweet puppy, calm and quiet and oh so smart. She is a half sister to Kiah, they both had the same father…and she reminds me of Ms. Kiah. We had to drive a round trip of 600 miles to get her but she is so worth the drive:)

15. bulldog
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 00:42:58

Wow those wooden floors are beautiful…
    How I agree with you on the photos and writing… one just keeps on going knowing that somewhere at sometime you are going to hit the winner…
    Loved this post…

Aug 22, 2013 @ 09:31:53

Thank you:) It has been a blessing to find the surprises in the house and the floors were such a surprise! I loved seeing the worn parts knowing my family walked there:) Yes no matter how many times we hit frustration in writing or our photos, you keep going and that best part is that I count it a gift as it helps me to grow…and I love both!