Whoa…Slow Down…Summer Times A Flying!

I know I know I need to do a post about life here instead of awards….I am sorry to be so dang slow!!!

We have been busy busy with the house remodeling job and doing all the various summer chores….

Wild Bill was taking a picture of me mowing the yard…a country yard is sort of dirty work…out here we do not have manicured yards as we have various visitors such as gophers or critters that dig holes and then when you are innocently mowing the yard you accidentally hit a dirt mound and poof:)

It seems the days fly by and here it is almost half way through June!!!

Yikes I want summer to slow down and stay for as long as possible with warm sunny days:)

With this post I would like to show you how the old house has changed over the years. This is a picture of my parents right before they got married in 1939…when they returned from their honeymoon, Grandpa moved them into the house here in Juniper Canyon…where we still live today.

The house has changed the last 100 years, but it started out like this in 1920…with a full basement and the upstairs. It was a typical white clapboard farm house…built really good as it is very solid. When they poured the concrete for the basement they poured it deep…and the wood they used for the structure was solid good stuff as Grandpa spared no expense as he wanted the best for his Mother. This picture would have been in the 1950’s…about 35 years after the house was built. I think that is my Dad on the tractor on the left, he is moving dirt in prepping the site for the concrete patio…and I think that is one of my uncles off to the right.

Fast forward to 2007…the patio runs the whole side of the house wrapping around to the front porch. The yellow siding was added to the house by my parents in the 1970’s…the windows were changed out in the 1950’s the first time and eventually replaced with storm windows. In 1980 we moved into the house as  Mom was tired of the stairs…she wanted a one level newer house. I was delighted as I loved growing up in the house…it was home to me. Over the years Wild Bill and I have done various remodels and upkeep to the house.

This year it was time for some major upkeep remodeling with a new roof, new siding, a floor upstairs and revamping our master bedroom and re-doing the concrete patio…along with a new well and all new water pipe to the house etc. This was about a month ago…we have the new roof on and the old siding off.

We added blow in insulation to the outside walls and roof…and then they wrapped the house with insulation…so we have double insulation now and I can tell the difference already!

We chose a Hardie Plank Red Cedar siding as it matches our log fence and also the cedar bat and board shop. I love how it came out!!!  The garage doors need to be painted yet…and we still have to re-do the patio.

Oh my the patio…I roller skated on this patio…had lots of birthdays on it…swam in my swimming pools over the years on it and have loved it…still do today as we live out there during the summer. Our contractor feels they have to tear out the concrete on the side of the house and re-pour it….it has aged a lot the last ten years and it is time to address that too. Ok Minnie…you and me need to head to the high country as this will be very noisy!

Ms. Melody is not impressed either…she is down at the barn…good water and nice stall but….she wants her old stall back right outside my window at the house…when we drilled for water it was in her old stall so I had no choice but to move her to the barn for a while….its ok Mel…we love you lots and we are setting up new stalls for you, Buck and Annie close to the house:)

Me and Mel when she was three a few years ago…first night she spent here after I brought her home. She is a very social horse:)

I will update photos over the next few days to show you what we have done inside the house too:) This is the new floor upstairs…it is Acacia Wood and I love it!

And Ms. Minnie Mouse says “Remodeling stinks…why Mom does this I do not know…of course I am the cat…and I know where it is at…my name is Minnie Mouse and I am the Queenie of the House…Humph!”

We have had several beautiful sunsets….with intense and incredible colors!

Lots of weird but beautiful clouds…

Funky ones of every kind:)

And then there was this big boy…it seemed like it was sitting on us…it was just beginning to rain a bit when I got this picture.

But then it did this and the day ended beautifully once again here in Juniper Canyon…ahhhh.

Minnie had a good day too as she had a nice sun bath before it rained…whew:)

Have a good night wherever you are:) Minnie says “Bye for now:)”

1. The View Out Here
    Jun 13, 2012 @ 17:33:54

Your skies are always, always gorgeous and you always seem to capture it so dang well!
    Love, LOVE your siding choice! So warm.
    ~d.

2. Cat Protectress
    Jun 13, 2012 @ 19:21:25

Amazing photos! I can’t get over the beautiful sky colors, that hardwood floor is gorgeous, and I’m in love with Ms. Minnie Mouse 🙂 Striking features.

3. wendy@chezchloe
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 00:23:24

What a gift to feel so at home in your physical surroundings and your heart. You’ve done a beautiful job with your home’s evolution of the years too. Really lovely.

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:08:21

Thank you so much:) I feel very blessed to live here…it is not so much the structure but more the heritage and history of my families life. My Grandfather built the house for his Mother, I never got to meet him as he passed away in the 1940’s, but I have felt close to him through out my years here because of the blessing he gave to his Mom…to me that says a lot to my heart of who he was and his heart:)

4. narhvalur
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 01:33:50

Great photos, great memories! I will also start posting some old memories. Dad is dead , Mum is old…but we have a great album with joyful memories and our lives have been good!

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:12:27

Thank you Ann:) I will look forward to your sharing your memories and photos too:) Are you an only child too? I am and after I lost my folks I began to understand how important it would be to be sure to pass on the memories and the lives of my parents and the memories of my life with my parents too. The memories of our heart and the photos of family history are truly the gift of life:)

Jun 14, 2012 @ 03:23:11

Beautiful photos of your sky. And I love that you have photos of your home in various stages of its life. It must be wonderful to live in the house where you grew up – so many memories! The changes you’ve made look great.

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:29:01

Thank you Dianna:) I truly appreciate living here every day and night. The heritage of family history is a wonderful feeling of peace…it is God’s heaven on earth to me. Twenty years ago WB and I went through a 100 year old flash flood on the ranch we managed…6″ of rain fell in an hour up high behind the headquarters where we lived, so we did not know about the massive amount of rain as we did not get the rain storm. As you can imagine, when the wall of debris and water hit the house/headquarters where we lived it was 200′ wide and 8-10′ deep..luckily we got out with our lives and our pets. The flood either moved everything on the ranch or destroyed everything…buildings were gone and no foundation was left of them…a few days after the flood WB told me to go see my parents so I drove home…as soon as I rounded the last corner and could see the yellow farm house…my heart was at peace:) Everything in our life changed that day except here…home. I learned that day how much God had blessed us…it was not the structure so much but the family history…the strength and fortitude of “you can keep a going girl.”

Jun 14, 2012 @ 03:36:00

I think you should add a footnote to always click on your photos (I do) b/c then we get to expand them and see ALL of the gloriousness that you’ve captured — well done. The cedar siding is the perfect choice for your home — how do I know? It looks like it has always been that way 🙂

Please tell Ms. Minnie Mouse she is STILL queen of the house 🙂

MJ

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:32:18

That is a good idea MJ! Yes when they are expanded then you can truly feel the moment of the photo. Thank you for your encouragement and thoughts:) Ms. Minnie is laying right beside me and yes she is and will always be the Queenie of the house:)

Jun 14, 2012 @ 03:40:05

Beautiful photos! Stunning skies as always…..and the house looks WONDERFUL….love the new siding, the pretty floors – and Ms. Minnie the Mouse looks quite lovely perched on that chair or sofa patiently waiting for the remodel to be OVER with!!! Wonderful update….I’ve been hoping you’d share the progress on the house and it sounds like you’re not all THAT far from completion. I’m sure everyone will be glad when things have quieted down (Mel too!).

Pam and Sam

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:37:54

Thank you thank you Pam and Sam:) I can’t believe it has been two months since we started the remodel…time goes fast anymore! I too will be glad with Minnie and Mel when all is done:) Wish we had the patio done but the few businesses that do concrete with design have been booked…they are thinking it will be the first of July for that project…so maybe by mid July things will be done:) WB and I will then begin to landscape and finish up the horses pasture and stalls etc. with a big whew:)

8. Heather @ SugarDish(Me)
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 08:06:50

The house looks great!!! I think I’d be sentimental and sad about having to take up the old concrete on the patio. You should find a clever way to save some of the pieces… use a few chunks for garden rocks or something. The floors are soooo gorgeous & the sunsets are breathtaking (as usual!!!).

Jun 14, 2012 @ 09:42:46

Thank you much:) That is a great idea on the concrete chunks:) I am definitely going to do that!!! Yes the patio has lots of memories for me and also for us. I had never heard of Acacia wood for the floor until I found it…it is harder than oak and it is rustic which is what I wanted:)

9. tbnranch
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 12:24:22

Wow! You’ve done amazing work on that house, it looks great. No wonder you are so busy.

10. coffeequilter
    Jun 14, 2012 @ 17:53:29

Beautiful pictures! Love the house and the blog!

11. Tuxedo Sophisticated Cat
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 09:08:10

What a joy to be living in such a beautiful place. Your house looks amazing. I love the wood floor.

12. Choc Chip Uru
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 14:48:24

The essence of summer is leaking out of my screen right now 😀

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

13. narhvalur
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 15:30:38

Very nice clouds, I’m a cloud person too:))))

14. philosophermouseofthehedge
    Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:55:42

Cats, sunsets, the lives of houses – all in one post! too much too much. Overload.
    Not really enjoyed the post. Loved the choice of Hardi Red Cedar siding. Perfect!

Jun 16, 2012 @ 17:51:32

Sorry it was too much….had not posted about life here for several award posts so thought I would try to cover the bases as there was interest in the remodel and interest in Minnie….and well the awesome skies were calling me…anyway I am sorry if it was overload for you. Have an awesome weekend….we have summer today at 85 degrees so I love it…tomorrow we are to have winds…ugh…thank always for stopping in:)

15. narhvalur
    Jun 17, 2012 @ 20:01:23

Love the picture of you mowing the yard…should need a machine like that myself!
    It seems gonna be a wonderful day…the start has been wonderful!

16. Where God Takes Me
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 22:00:18

Gorgeous sunset photos. And I agree, summer is passing too quickly!

17. Russel Ray Photos
    Jun 23, 2012 @ 07:55:48

In your first black and white picture, that woman on the left looks exactly like my mother did, probably at the same age. Now I’m going to go watch an episode of The Twilight Zone. lol