Ranch House Remodeling…Hang On!

Before we began the remodel…before the siding was off…we had a yellow house.

Today our house looks like this…a rather naked tongue and groove house, almost a 100 years old. When I was little, I vaguely remember it being white…my parents put the first siding on it when I was 6…and then the yellow siding when I was 19. Today the insulation guys came and blew the walls full of insulation to help with being energy-efficient and to lower the electric bills next winter.

I think Minnie is ready to start her own blog about how “NOT” to remodel your house!

Between the pounding on the roof and the various people who come each day….”Geez Mom can you please stop it!”

I know Minnie I know but we have to finish it. It looks sort of old and pretty bad except for the new roof:)

The last time we remodeled we started here in the kitchen…

And found out we had a chimney that was hidden. Mom did not tell me about hiding the chimney when she remodeled the original kitchen. I always wondered why she had a funny shaped closet over there and we found out:) The wall that you see beside Bill we opened up…

To the living area so that when I was cooking I could still visit with WB or guests…this is looking back from the living area.

Yes we saved Mom’s GE steel kitchen…I will show you in a minute.

But first I want to show you one of the original 1920 red fir cupboards with the breadboard still intact. When Mom remodeled the kitchen in 1960 taking out the original kitchen she saved this cupboard and also the pass through cupboard for storage down in the basement…they were painted a mint green with pink trim….along with several other paint colors that I found when I refinished them. I remember my Mom making pie shells and cut out cookies on the breadboard…I would stand on a chair next to her and help:) I do have the original red fir top but switched it out with this awesome piece of pine from one of the old mills around here.

Both cupboards are back in the kitchen where they began…when our cabinet maker came to our home the first time he immediately noticed the old growth red fir floors…he said 30 years before he bought a bunch of antique red fir wood at a lumber auction and the wood was old then…would I be interested in having him make the kitchen cabinets out of it? Yes…Yes…Yes! I strive to return the house to the original build and era of 1920 and the kitchen turned out beautiful…classic and simple as he modeled the cabinets after the original kitchen cabinet.

Minnie was really “NOT” impressed with totally re-arranging her kitchen either…the carpenters left for the day and she came out of hiding to see what was going on…see how amazed she looks:)

Here is Mom’s steel GE kitchen in the shop now…and in this picture, T and I are making Norwegian Lefse…also known as potato cakes. Yummy and very good:)

We have a ways to go but before we know it, the house will be done:) I can plant my flowers…Wild Bill can sleep better again…and Minnie will be happy having her house back in order:)

Until then…she is staying on the coffee table keeping an eye on me:)

Humph…

Blue skies smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds all day long…Nothing but blue skies from now on:)

1. bestrockmusical
    May 16, 2012 @ 01:51:50

love that photo cat and your beauty house

2. george-b
    May 06, 2012 @ 06:36:02

Nice work there, it’s all blue skies…indeed!

3. Heather @ SugarDish(Me)
    May 01, 2012 @ 10:53:28

Your house is absolutely beautiful. I love old homes- the character is irreplacable. It’s great that you saved the old pieces, and that you were able to recycle them back into your home. You’ll need to weigh in on projects at Trailer Trashtastic, please 🙂 That is, if I ever find the time to get them posted!

May 01, 2012 @ 17:43:48

Hey there thank you for stopping in:) I love the character of old homes and family homes..and I love this house very much as for me it connects me to my Grandparents…I never got to meet my Grandpa who built the house so growing up in it and living here all of my life has blessed me in knowing how important family is and respecting our elders. My Dad was the first to get sick in 1994 and in 1997 he passed away here at home with all of us around him…my Mom had become ill about the time I lost Dad and she passed away in 1998 a year later here at home with all of her family around her. My hubby, my Mom and I believed it to be very important to care for Dad here at home and we did…and then when Mom became ill once she was ready the last months of her life she moved into the house again with us and that was such a huge blessing for all of us. Yes there were hard times but I was blessed to be with them and to care for them as they had cared for me:) Memories that carry you and you hold close in your heart forever:)

And I would love to see your pieces!!! Be sure to post them:)

4. philosophermouseofthehedge
    Apr 30, 2012 @ 18:50:13

So glad you are recycling the house. The old wood cabinets are terrific. We bought and remodeled the 1949 house I grew up in – not the same character as yours but we still had old wood floors and tone and groove lap siding ( under the steel siding that had been put over it). We were transferred and had to sell it- A few years ago it was torn down for a McMansion. Nice and new, but sad. At least one of the oak trees survived.
    Nothings nicer than working on your own house – and being able to live there and enjoy it.

May 01, 2012 @ 17:34:19

Thank you so much…I have always been the heritage with history daughter preserving the life and memories of my parents and my grandparents etc. I have always loved this house as it is the one tangible thing that I can touch and know my Grandpa Gunder and my Great Grandmother Anne Marie…I never got to meet them by the time I was born. Knowing the story of my Grandpa building the house for his Mother so that he could bring her from Norway as all her children by 1920 lived in America…Grandpa had 7 kids when he built the house and he never lived in it…he first gave it to Anne Marie and after she passed away he gave it to my parents. In todays world often we do not see children respecting their aging parents and kids growing up often do not respect them either…I felt that my Grandpa gave me the gift of knowing him and also taught me a valuable lesson in respecting my parents and those who went before me:) I love the old house and love the land as it connects me to my Grandparents…plus growing up myself in it blesses me with good memories of my parents and I.I agree on the character and the history…and I am sad they tore your house down for a big mansion that will never mean what your home did.

Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:44:18

Sweet Minnie pie; I hope she makes it through the chaos of remodeling.
    Hugs!
    MJ

Apr 29, 2012 @ 16:00:59

She is a sweet kitty girl…the weekends help her relax as no one is around:) I don’t think the siding is as noisy as the roof was…she was with me during the roof taking off and nailing back on week…we stayed in the office and I turned on some music to help her not hear the pounding:) We are looking forward to them being done soon:) Happy Sunday:)

Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:29:47

And the cat is wondering about everything you do… 😉

Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:58:01

Yes Minnie is wondering when it will be done….I don’t blame her as the roofing was pretty noise. Thank you much for checking into my blog…hope you are having a great weekend:)

7. Choc Chip Uru
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 14:15:16

Your remodelling skills seem awesome – a beautiful house inspired with so many projects 🙂
    Nice one!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:56:41

Thank you….it is fun to work on the house and the outside stuff too as I love the old house so much…it truly is a house of heritage…I am the fourth generation to live here and that means a lot to me:)

8. narhvalur
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 09:47:23

Very nice Ranch House plus surroundings! Ann

9. The Mouse
    Apr 29, 2012 @ 00:31:17

Congrats to you. Too bad poor Minnie is traumatized.

Apr 29, 2012 @ 08:55:44

Thank you so much:) Minnie is doing pretty good with all the various people but the noise makes her jumpy…that is the part that I feel bad about for her…hoping to be done soon:) Thanks for stopping in:)

Apr 28, 2012 @ 16:10:59

Reading about you standing in a chair by your mom, making pie crusts – reminded me of sitting on the sewing machine watching my mom sew!!
    Love potato cakes and used to make them frequently!
    Poor Minnie: she’ll be so happy when the remodel is complete!

Apr 28, 2012 @ 18:47:33

I love those memories and special times that we hold dear in our hearts of our Mom’s and Dad’s. After I took the picture I remembered that I actually do have the cut out cookie cutters still…of course Mom found me one of a horse:) I need to shoot a picture with them on the breadboard:) I love the memories of the pies as Mom would take the left over dough and bake it with cinnamon on it for me to nibble on at our tea parties:) I am so happy that it took you back to the days when you watched your Mom sew…those are the best:) You are one of the first people that know what Norwegian potato cakes are:) Ok now maybe you can talk Motor Man into coming to our making potato cake day that we do in the fall with several of the neighbors here in the shop kitchen…much easier to clean up since it is Wild Bill’s shop and not in my kitchen LOL! It is a truly fun day to get together and make yummy potato cakes…one of the traditions out here that I love:) I know I worry about Minnie all the time…her hearing is more sensitive to loud noises now and she gets jumpy and scared as in “Mom I am heading for the basement TV room now and will be behind the sofa for a few hours”…makes me feel bad for her…she will be very happy when this is over:)

11. jesusknowsmyname
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 15:15:43

Nice size house and I know it’s going to look great, I can “see” it. Love the wood floors, I’d choose them anyday over carpet.

Apr 28, 2012 @ 18:37:30

Thank you for stopping in as always:) I always enjoy seeing you:) I feel very blessed that we can do this as we have talked about it for several years…the house was needing either paint or something…and the roof was starting to go south quick. I am like you, I LOVE the wood floors. I neve knew they were here as Mom had carpet and linoleum…I know that was a huge blessing from above as we discovered that the entire main floor is this beautiful red fir…we found it when I was healing up from all the breast cancer surgery:) It was so very cool to see the worn spots on the wood as I knew my ancestors made them:)

Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:17:08

BIG project indeed but isn’t it going to be wonderful to have everything “old” become “new” again! I think even Minnie will lose that disgusted expression (come on Mom and Dad – a girl needs her rest!!!!)……when she sees how nice it looks.

Pam (and Sam)

Apr 28, 2012 @ 18:31:47

Yes it will be very nice and I do feel blessed that we can do this. We have talked about these things for several years as the outside needed to be renewed..both the hubby and I work hard to take care of our home and the ranch…we compliment each other well with that common work ethic:) Minnie does pretty well but her hearing is more sensitive now and loud noises make her edgy and jumpy…I have felt so bad for her as it has been noisy. I try to keep her comforted and in a quiet safe area…she is my baby:) Thanks to you both for checking in…..have a peaceful restful night:)