Happily Ever After Fairy Tales In A Cowgirls Life…

Happily ever after fairy tales and innocence…a time when life was full of story book dreams, that could become a true realty in my imagination, as Mom read to me almost every night before I went to sleep…I would lay my head back on my pillow, closing my eyes as she read, describing the creative visual images of make believe.

Mom had a beautiful set of fairy tale books she often read out of, the books had been given to her as a child so she grew up with them…all the pages had golden edges and the books were bound in real leather, with beautiful illustrations…

Knowing she grew up reading them and then reading them to me, made the books a special blessing to my heart. Mom read the stories like she knew them all by heart; stories of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Cinderella, which stirred my imagination, as I hung on every magical word she read.

With Mom’s encouragement, she taught me to read from a young age and to believe in my dreams…she knew about survival in the country and how to live without others and in the silence. We read the Bobbsey Twins books before school and eventually the Nancy Drew books together…and we read the classics together as I grew older, everything from Wuthering Heights to Jane Eyre to Emma and David Copperfield. Though years have passed and life grew into realities…I still remember that special time of innocence in my life growing up.

CCI00002 2

My world was full of magical nights. Prince, my horse, was my fearless white steed when we were fighting against the evil in Camelot and I was Sleeping Beauty. He was my mighty warrior horse and protector when the Indians were after us and I was Annie Oakley. I have always had an active and very vivid imagination…good for story writing too:) And did I tell you that I can multitask…so hang on, we are switching gears! You never know with me!

Moving on to today’s world out here on the ranch, we had a drop in visitor a few weeks ago…and I mean drop in from the sky visitor…Sky King! Well sort of, as we call him Sky King Bob…he was Wild Bill’s High School football coach. Bob, (not Sky King), is retired now, so he flies friends and people where they need to go and he flew in the head honcho supervisor for the Helix School remodel. We live 8 miles from the little country school and we are the only ones who have an actual air strip out here.

Buck was leisurely eating his breakfast when he heard something above! “What the heck was that…Superhorse or maybe Sky Horse???”

It’s Sky King Buck, taking off from our dirt runway in our field behind us…he has now cleared the power lines and is banking hard to the right to get turned around to head to Southern Oregon…the building you see is our barn.

Here is a better picture…this is directly across from my front porch…where I was standing to take the photos. And yes I fly with WB and I actually prefer landing and taking off on our dirt strip, it is way better than flying into the big air space and ports…they made me very nervous. “Hello, stupid little plane, get out of the way of Airforce One or Boeing 747.” The very first plane we bought, was from Sky King, WB remembered riding in the plane while growing up in Vale.

And there they go over the canyon wall and hill beside us heading South.

CCI00003

Our plane Charlie, at the end of our dirt strip in the field…I have an oh sh** handle in there for when we take off as I used to drive wheat truck down the same hill…and when we take off you lift over the power lines above the main road. I got used to it eventually, because my hubby is an excellent pilot…he is a born natural. I struggle with heights and looking down…do not care for that part but the rest is not so bad and it is cool to see where you live from the air and to fly over it…you can see how the land lays…and that is lots of fun and I enjoy seeing how much WB loves flying:)

So where am I going with this? “Hmmmm”…”Minnie, what do you think? What? You think I am a ding-dong? Well I am sorta but I’m your Mama too…and you are such a sweet kitty girl…now quit giving me the cat look that equates ding-dong:)”

Now where was I before Sky King landed? Dreams and fairy tales right? I wish sometimes we could turn the clock back to the good ol’ days as life has changed and the world we now live in is much different from when WB and I grew up. Dreams and fairy tales it seems, take longer to come true today. Sometimes our timing is not God’s timing, so we have to believe even when life looks impossible, that God will prevail on our behalf, as we stand firm in our faith. Life may have changed over the last 20 to 30 years…but life is still good and God is a God of Faith and Hope!

And yet, I know that life can stink sometimes, but we can get through it! The road of life can be interesting with a few major curves, lots of bumps and a few detours here and there, but it keeps it interesting. Good or bad, we can choose how we will deal with life in a positive way…and enjoy the ride. I may have to dig deeper than ever before but I can do this thing whatever it is and God is with me every step of the way. And dang it, no we do not have a bed of roses to sleep on, maybe a Tempurpedic, but not a magical bed of roses.

CCI00001

I learned to hold on to my dreams even when life looks dismal, and that I can do anything I put my mind to if I want to. I was taught to have a good work ethic and to work hard to get what I wanted, a summer job was a must. My parents could have given me the money and anything I wanted but, it was more important for me to learn to work hard to earn my money, to save some and also buy what I wanted. Growing up we worked 24/7 as cows do not take the day off and there was always ranch work to do. I’m glad that they set that in motion as even today all these years later both WB and I work hard for our income and I understand working long hard hours.

CCI00000

Mom was also an only child and she told me that her Dad would not pay for her wedding pictures…he told her that she could do that. He could afford them, but he wanted her to learn the value of working hard for what you want. This photo is the only one Mom could afford as she had gone to summer school at the U of O that summer to graduate. She lost her mother in the spring and had taken a leave of absence from college to be with her Mom so she had to make her classes up that summer. They had originally planned to marry in the spring but had postponed their wedding until fall.

scan0014

My parents did not do the rescue the kid scenario either and that was important for me to learn, that my choices or decisions affected me, and it was my own fault if I chose the wrong one, and to not blame my misfortune on others, my mistake was my mistake.Β  Mom used to always say “You made your bed, now you can lie in it.” I learned to always hold on to my faith and hope in life circumstances, while never ever giving up!

And when things look their darkest, morning comes!

CCF06022010_00000

My classic Mom, who was always so poised looking sophisticated…she taught me this too but she had to work on me as when I was herding cows with Dad or doing ranch work, I was a tom boy. Often I had to walk around the house balancing books on my head and to stand up straight and tall, shoulders back, tummy in and smile. I was in between 4th and 5th grade in this photo and not looking too together yet…it took a few more years for that to sink in:) We were on our way to California to visit relatives and we stopped in Boise at my Aunt’s house for the night…notice the big white bandage on my knee? I was a klutz then and still am today! I was learning to ride my bike off the paved road into the gravel up to our front walk…the gravel won most of the time! Mom was a nurse and a saint as she always doctored Dad and I up really good with bandages! I think she enjoyed practicing all that she had learned:)

Marcy and Prince 19573

And we are off for another adventure! “Now where did I leave that fairy tale book? ” “Hi Ho Silver!!!”

CCI00007

Minnie says “Meow-zers this is the last week of June…can you believe it? Summer is disappearing fast and quit snickering over my tummy…it’s cute:)”

Have a Wild & Whacky Wonderful Wednesday!!!!!

1. Trackback: Another Ribbon for the Wall … | Musings of a Horse Mom
      Aug 05, 2013 @ 07:20:43

Thank you for your sweet words…you are so very kind. If you are ever in my area, come visit and we will ride the horses out on top of those hills you see often in the photos that I take…you can go for miles and miles!

2. tchistorygal
    Jun 29, 2013 @ 09:10:29

Hi Hot Rod Cowgirl. You have a cute blog here. I enjoyed your walk down memory lane. I was never the cowgirl, but what girl didn’t WANT to learn to ride. Nancy Drew, and the classics, Mom and I did that, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog and dropping off a like. I like your’s too! πŸ™‚ Marsha πŸ™‚

Jun 29, 2013 @ 11:46:53

Hi Marsha:) Thank you for dropping in and checking out mt blog:) I appreciate your support…enjoyed sharing the good old days:) And loved reading with Mom…the books and the incredible fairy tales:) I have held on to reading and my imagination:) Hugs:)

• tchistorygal
        Jun 29, 2013 @ 21:18:43

Yay! Me too! We live in cowboy country. I have a new girlfriend – a horse who is 2 years old. She comes up to the fence every time I walk by. Today she put her head on my shoulder. She comes when I call her. I just love her! πŸ™‚ Marsha πŸ™‚

Jul 02, 2013 @ 19:46:33

Oh she sounds very sweet and smart:) Wish I could see her too as I am sure I wouAnd ld fall in love with her as well:) And cowboy country is the best:) Wishing you a happy 4th and hugs:)

• tchistorygal
        Jul 02, 2013 @ 22:11:43

Hugs and a happy Fourth to you, too! πŸ™‚

3. godspoetbychoice
    Jun 28, 2013 @ 19:57:35

It sounds like you and I were raised the same way. Love your stories

4. chasingtheperfectmoment
    Jun 28, 2013 @ 14:06:18

You have been nominated for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award. You may pick it up at: http://chasingtheperfectmoment.com/awards/
    If you choose not to that’s okay. Just know you were thought of!

5. Jonathan Caswell
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 16:56:37

Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    SHE ALWAYS CHEERS ME UP…AND SHE IS NOT A “DING-DONG”, EVEN IF MINNIE THINKS SO! πŸ™‚

Jun 26, 2013 @ 17:15:14

Thank you so much for the reblog:) And for your kind words too:) Minnie is so funny with her various expressions…and so very human too! I had some blinds installed today and she took off like a speeding bullet and all I saw was a blur of stripes! Scary monster men came with noisy machines and etc. in her mind. It took me almost 3 hours to coa her out from under the bed:) I told her she was a ding dong this time!!!

6. singleworkingmomswm
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 14:11:35

What a fun post, HRGC! I think my generation of 30-somethings and early 40-somethings was just on the brink of the big changes in technology. So, it is nice to be able to remember black and white TV’s, dial phones, AM radio being the big thing, and record players. I don’t fall as much as others into the techie craze, and I don’t allow my daughter to, either. We limit our TV to about 1 hour per day during the week-weekends I relax it a bit, but we are usually doing stuff outside, so it’s not a problem. I am yet to own a smart phone, and because of where we live, our internet connection is super slow, thus on weekends even the computer stays off. These are all structured blessings to try my best to keep our life simpler, as it was when I was a little girl. It’s really tough to fight the masses and the peer pressure that my 9-year-old is already enduring when it comes to technology. But, again, I’m grateful for being born just in time to experience what was left of a more innocent era. Love the pics, and thanks for sharing!! XOXO-Kasey

Jun 26, 2013 @ 15:47:43

Thank you so much:) It was fun to remember and go with the idea of sharing the fairy tale books. I love those books and how they read, how they feel and how they take me back to days of old! I miss the old TV’s with one channel and being turned off the air at night….the simple programs we watched as a family. I remember with Star Trek and the Jetsons that we watched those together as we had one chanel…then I got to watch Johnny Carson and I loved Red Skelton! I was too young for Jackie Gleason but not for I Love Lucy! Yes I believe it is a challenge to raise a child today for sure but you are doing a great job…you are a good Mom and your daughter will value the time you spent together…I sure do with my Mom, all our old memories and now that she is not with me here anymore, I know she and Dad are in heaven waiting, but without them you truly rely on the memories and the love you shared. I am so glad to here you have slow internet and the computer is off on weekends and no games….and not much TV….I applaud you as so many parents today let their kids do that stuff as they do not want to take care of them and be the parent…it is sad that parents allow their kids to do stuff that makes my neck hair stand up as I know how much it is scaring the kids…very sad to see our society chose to go that way in raising our children…all the tech stuff is so addicting and hooks you into a false reality..kids need to be kids and play outside inventing their own games with their imaginations:)

• singleworkingmomswm
        Jun 28, 2013 @ 10:51:03

Yes, agree with you on all accounts. And, as a matter of fact, I’ve decided to cancel my home internet and put our TV account on hold for now (for financial reasons, but nonetheless), and I’m grateful for the forced reprieve. πŸ™‚

Jun 28, 2013 @ 23:28:54

Good for you:) I know you will not miss it in the long run…I long sometimes for the old days without tech stuff:) I pray blessings on you and your daughter:) Hugs:)

7. philosophermouseofthehedge
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 08:49:28

If a mom reads, the child sees and learns reading is important. Adults are designed to be the pattern – and you had a great one to follow.
    Those books! My brother got those – but I still have the stories. All those stories has stuff for life in them. Shame kids now seem to only have reality shows and electronics as guiding stars.
    Sky King! And all the others – now that was a childhood.
    Really enjoyed the post

Jun 26, 2013 @ 15:39:33

Thank you so much:) Mom was the best and so was Dad…I got to grow up with good role models and they always encouraged me in anything I did…loved reading with Mom. During summer months when we lived up in the mountains with the cows, we had no radio or TV…so reading was our nightly thing or playing card games…and all of this by either a lantern or flashlight…I do miss those days and summer nights with just us three. I know those books are special and when you hold them and feel the leather you feel like you are holding a very valuable special book and you are…I loved that Mom grew up with them as that is the value to me and then all the memories I have of reading them and her reading to me…those are priceless:) Tell your brother to share:) Maybe you can rotate them between you for six months a year:)

8. Carine
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 07:32:08

You brought beautiful child memory πŸ™‚

“the cat look that equates ding-dong”
    Ahahah! I so know what you are talking about πŸ˜‰

Jun 26, 2013 @ 15:33:52

Thank you and thank you for dropping in:) Yes I swear that my kitty Minnie truly looks at me like I am a ding dong human at times…she is a very expressive kitty and always is giving me some kind of look from love you Mom look to ding dong looks to annoyed at me for whatever looks and play time looks:) She is never boring:)

Jun 26, 2013 @ 06:41:58

Fairytales are important and are sweet memories. I am enjoying the fairytales you are telling.

Jun 26, 2013 @ 02:55:48

What a fabulous thing that you still have those fairy tale books….AND the memories to go with them. David and I remember all those oldie programs. I’m sure Sky King had something to do with David’s love of flying and what’s more romantic when you’re a little girl than a handsome cowboy galloping away on a beautiful horse?!?! πŸ˜€ As always the photos are wonderful….and here’s to a continued good summer of new and old memories!

Hugs, Pam

Jun 26, 2013 @ 15:26:54

I love those books…they are so much a part of my Mom and her growing up years and then my growing up years…with both of us being only kids, we took care of all our things so that helped preserve them as they go way back in years….I love tradition and tradition that is heritage is the best:) I love old antiques too:) Bill and I often joke that we were born too late, we often wish we had been born in the 1940’s. Oh I loved the old TV programs we had and only one channel out here that went off at midnight for the night…innocent times and I miss that. Where we live now it is rush and rush and it used to be so slow out here…neighbors actually got together and formed deep friendships and now I am lucky if I see my neighbors once a year…it is sad. But life is still good too just in a different way now:) Yes I am sure Bill had the flying bug from Sky King and his Dad had a plane too. He grew up in a small desert town and several people had planes then. Wishing you a wonderful summer too filled with lazy dazys and lots of good memories of funny times and fun times:) Hi Sammy…you are so sweet:) Minnie says “Hi there big fella”…she was ill for two weeks with a bladder infection from stressing that we were going on vacation…the night before we were to leave and she saw the house sitter, she got really sick so we said no we will stay home as we could not leave with our girl ill. She is back to herself now and sassy once again but with her age now, and you would never know she is 18, I watch her close. Noise and lots of activity bother her and I can identify with that too:) I think her eyes are not as good at night as she will forget why she went down to the main floor and then meow and meow until I go get her and bring her back..and I can understand forgetting what I came for too…LOL:) Wishing a beautiful summer night:)
      Hugs, HRCG and Miss Minnie

Jun 25, 2013 @ 21:41:44

Hi you Silver to you, too πŸ™‚ I grew up with the same books. And Sky King.

Jun 25, 2013 @ 22:05:27

They wonderful weren’t they? I loved reading them and I still have them:) Sky King, My Friend Flicka, Fury, Mr. Ed. the Lone ranger…Roy Rodgers:) All were so great! I miss those days and remember when the Tv would actually go off at night? We were so blessed to know what it was like before the techno age where it seems anymore that people do not have relationships…it is sad. But yes I loved every horse/cowboy show there was:) Oh and I have to throw in I Love Lucy too!