Celebrating The Days Of My Life…April 11th 2006…An Amazing Day In A Country Girl’s Life!

We celebrate April 11th as it is “one of the blessing days of my life”…a new day and a new birthday!  I had been diagnosed with wide-spread non-invasive breast cancer a few weeks before…we could still do something proactive as it was contained and had not become invasive or spread. It was the size of a small orange, so we chose to do the most proactive treatment we could do…a double mastectomy with immediate tram flap reconstruction with a 99.7% survival rate for a healthy life.

We explored the other options…but it was recommended by both the radiologists and my oncologist that we do a mastectomy due to the large wide-spread area. I was young and healthy…with lots of life yet to live with WB. Having been high risk for many years, in many ways, to us it seemed like a gift as we could choose the best option for us.

When they took me to surgery it was 7:15 in the morning and when I opened my eyes again and I saw my hubby “WB” it was 2:15 the next morning, April 12th. I was okay after 18 hours…16 hours surgery and 2 hours recovery…to me that is yet a miracle. I actually had 4 more hours of surgery after 48 hours…so in total between April 11th and April 14th I had a total of 20 hours surgery without complications. Through the months of recovery I healed quickly and was back working out at the athletic club by October.

“Wild Bill” shared with me how scary it was for him as it was hard to watch other families wait…then leave to greet their loved ones who made it out of surgery and were in recovery. OHSU was a huge teaching hospital and he only heard a few updates in that long 18 hours a part.  He was the last one in the waiting room that early dark morning, when my Dr. came out with a smile letting him know that I was fine…all was well.

I am healthy today…my usual silly ding-dong self… living a happy life!

Today we wear pink to fight cancer…to bring awareness to the disease and to give hope that there is life beyond cancer:)

Instead of making lemonade out of a bunch of sour lemons…since we are out here in the farm country…let’s make bread out of kernel’s of wheat the same way. “Grind It and Just Do It!!!!”

I thank God for sparing my life…for giving me a future, a hope and a life!

Where ever you are…please support raising money for the cure of cancer! It is striking more and more people each and everyday…it is an insidious disease that needs a cure!

We can find the cure!!! “Let’s Just Do It!”

“LIFE”….We Can Fight…Yes We Can!

“Save a Life”…Make a difference America!

1. TBM
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 07:35:21

Great post…just earlier today I donated money for cancer research. I have lost too many loved ones. I’m so happy to hear that you are alright. You are so brave…and you have a wonderful husband.

Apr 20, 2012 @ 16:44:36

Thank you so much…and for supporting the cancer research…I do believe we can find a cure! I feel very blessed…and my hubby is wonderful and we went through it all together…he would not leave me in the hospital room so he slept on a hard chair for a week:) I am sorry that you have lost so many loved ones to cancer…if it is in your family please stay proactive for yourself.

2. sweetridgesisters
    Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:13:53

What an incredible story! -kate

3. Being Julz
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 22:36:17

A great post! Thank you.

Apr 16, 2012 @ 18:14:36

What a wonderful, uplifting post. I’m so happy things have gone well for you! I can just imagine how scary that must have been for your husband – waiting for you to come through the surgery.

Apr 16, 2012 @ 20:54:34

Thank you much:) The good thing in this is helping others…we realized that the spouses of cancer patients are left out….of course we live in a very small community so maybe in larger ones it is different…hardest part for WB was facing that he could loose me….hardest part for me was the same thought of loosing and loosing him…but God was good…and many times I wonder why I was given the chance to live beyond…I constantly look for ways to bless others and give hope:)

5. jesusknowsmyname
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 14:52:26

thank you for sharing your brave story. I know there are many other brave cancer survivors out there.

Apr 16, 2012 @ 17:27:19

🙂 I think my hubby was the brave one….I was sort of in the middle just fighting it…our faith was such that we knew that I would be ok…even before the biopsy:) God will catch us when we have those times when life turns upside down:)

6. weisserwatercolours
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:29:29

you are so inspiring–thank you for posting this

Apr 16, 2012 @ 04:12:36

As a survivor myself I TOTALLY know where you are coming from – hope, love, belief, support, trust…..part of the joy of having made it through an incredibly difficult time in our lives makes us stronger and want to “carry the pink” for all the others who face this disease. Every day is a gift. Keep smiling……. 😉

Pam (and Sam)

8. Choc Chip Uru
    Apr 15, 2012 @ 21:27:56

Your courage and positive attitude towards life is fantastic – I am so happy my friend that you have arrived out of the dark tunnel safely and as fit and fun as ever. I hope you keep up your amazing life my friend and your smile is wonderful to see 😀

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

9. David Pasillas
    Apr 15, 2012 @ 21:22:39

Glad to hear you’re doing well and in such good spirits. My father is a survivor of prostate cancer, which is a blessing considering how many in his family have already died of cancer.

10. SKEdazzles ~ A Lifestyle/Photo/Travel Blog
    Apr 15, 2012 @ 21:08:41

Beautiful post ~ love your spirit!